Monday, May 13, 2024

Walking in the Dark

 “He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. But he that hateth his brother is in darkness, and walketh in darkness, and knoweth not whither he goeth, because that darkness hath blinded his eyes.” (1 John 2:10-11)


Once as a child, I awoke in the night and in my half-state of slumber and in the darkness of my room I could find neither the light switch or the door. I remember beginning to panic as I stumbled around the room; lost in a place that I knew so well. My father heard the commotion and simply reached in through the doorway and guided me out. I had become confused in the dark. 

The Scripture states that a man “abides” either in the light or he is in the darkness. What is it that determines where a man abides? It is not what he says, his intellect, his prosperity, or his position. The determining factor is love and hate.

A man that loves his brother walks in the light and is in less danger of stumbling. For the path ahead is clearly illuminated before him. He is assured of the way and is confident in his steps. In the light he enjoys fellowship with the Father and the Father’s children. 

A man that hates his brother has many occasions for stumbling. He is in great danger of falling. Hatred has confused his direction and bitterness has blinded his eyes. He simply does not know where he is going.

It is the Father that reaches into the darkness and leads the stumbling brother into the light. As the confused man yields to the Father’s hand, he will find himself loving more and hating less.

No comments:

Post a Comment