Friday, May 10, 2024

I Thought Wrong


These things hast thou done, and I kept silence; thou thoughtest that I was altogether such an one as thyself: but I will reprove thee, and set them in order before thine eyes.” (Psalms 50:21)


Today, Psalm 50 captivated my attention and I was compelled to read it again and again. Verse 1 begins, “The mighty God, even the LORD, hath spoken...(vs.7), Hear, O my people, and I will speak.”


God testifies against His people and gives a list of their offenses. He rebukes them for their hypocrisy, their neglect of God’s Word, and their participation in wickedness. They are warned of His judgment unless they repent.


Among the many offenses listed there is one that stands out. The great error of God’s people is they thought wrong, “thou thoughtest that I was altogether such a one as thyself.” They had the audacity to think, God is like me! God likes what I like. God loves who I love. God hates who I hate. Whatever I do, that is what God would do. They misinterpreted God’s gracious silence for God’s participation. 


They thought wrong. 

This awful perversion of thinking corrupts the heart and mind of man. It is a cancerous pride that concludes, God is like me. Believer, God loves us but God is not
like us! Our thoughts are not God’s thoughts and our ways are not God’s ways. God’s thoughts and ways are higher than our thoughts and ways. To think for one minute that God is like me...is to think wrong.


God will never become like us but we are called to become like Him. It is only through His Word and the power of the Holy Spirit that we are conformed to the image of Jesus Christ.



How’s your thinking?

No comments:

Post a Comment