Wednesday, June 05, 2024

I Did It My Way

 “And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof; And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!” (Proverbs 5:12-13)

Reading a chapter in the book of Proverbs is a good way to start your day! It is a spiritual x-ray of the heart revealing whether you are being foolish or whether you are being wise. It is a productive spiritual self-examination! 


In the father’s lesson to his son concerning  the dangers of strange women, we are reminded of the danger and consequences of being UNTEACHABLE. OH, the tragedies and heart aches that could have been avoided if only we had a teachable spirit!

Here are the warning signs of having an “unteachable spirit”:

1) When you hate instruction. Instructions of any kind, from anyone are an irritation. Your response is “I know” while thinking, “I wish they would mind their own business.”

2) When you despise reproof. You hate being told you are wrong. Not because you are striving to do right but because in your mind you are always right. 

3) When you refuse to obey any authority. Your belief or opinion is your highest authority. 

4) When you never listen to or ask for advice. You have no desire to hear the advice of others. What could they possible teach you?

The consequences of being unteachable: The bitter groaning of “I wish I would have listened!”

“And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed,” (Proverbs 5:11)

Don’t forget to examine yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment